Are you a senior that needs help? Do you know a senior that needs help?
“Let us, by honoring the memory of reformers in the past…encourage the rise of others in future time.” – Ernestine Rose
We all hope our loved ones will be around to care for us when we reach our senior years. But sadly, this isn’t always possible. Many seniors live far away from their relatives and have little to no assistance as they navigate everyday challenges. Fortunately, there are always a few generous people in the community who want to help out. If you want to lend a hand, here are some ways you can make a difference in the lives of your senior neighbors.
While many seniors prefer to age-in-place, getting around the home becomes increasingly difficult as we grow older.
- A few simple home modifications, like installing grab bars, can make aging-in-place possible.
- If you know a senior with mobility limitations, you could build a ramp to their home entrance.
- Help seniors hire care providers if they need assistance with daily living.
You can also help seniors navigate financial problems and plan ahead for their future care needs.
- Help senior friends develop household budgets for living on a fixed income.
- Know how to spot the signs of senior financial abuse.
- If your senior friend plans to downsize or move to assisted living, help them calculate their home sale proceeds.
Health and Fitness
Healthy seniors truly thrive during their golden years. Encourage the older members of your community to stay active and engaged!
- Learn about free senior activities and programs at the Valley Jewish Community Center.
- Get seniors set up with at-home workout videos.
- Find out how seniors can access mental health services covered by Medicare.
- Do your part to make your neighborhood safer for people of all ages.
It doesn’t take much to make a difference in someone’s life. If you have some time to spare, reach out to a senior in your neighborhood, and find out how you can help them overcome any challenges they may be facing. Supporting local seniors is a great way to give back to your community!